Wednesday 20 August 2014

The Book Whisperer


The Book Whisperer is a quick and enjoyable read. It provides strategies to motivate your reluctant readers such as finding out what their reading interests could possibly be. I use this Reading Interest Survey to provide the types of books for independent reading that my students will enjoy. Periodically I will leave a book or two (related to their reading interests) with a sticky note on a student's desk and when they arrive in the morning they love to see that I've thought about them.  Another year long strategy  to keep your kiddos motivated is the 40 Book Challenge. After sharing many of my favourite books, and a review of book genres I introduce the challenge to my kiddos. They all sign a contract for the 40 Book Challenge. I wanted a more accountable approach, so rather than having my students keep a reading log we have a class "Look What I'm Reading Pocket Chart" where students keep a CARD of the book they are currently reading. Students fill in the cards when they are finished the book and then save them on a Book Ring. All the book rings are kept in the class library for students to grab and read when looking for a good book recommendation. For a copy of the pocket chart "LOOK WHAT I'M READING" title click HERE.  Grab a copy of a 40 Book Challenge Certificate HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment